The autumn in Val di Pejo is magical. The woods are colored with a thousand shades and the air becomes crisp. Every year in this period, between the end of September and mid-October, the voice of the king of the woods: the deer resounds.
During this period, in fact, one can easily attend the bellowing, a particular courting ritual for deer , ungulates with crepuscular habits that can be observed in the clearings at the edge of the wood.
The most powerful and healthy males compete to conquer all the hinds to the sound of bells (a very particular, deep and powerful verse). And, if the roar is not enough, the contenders move on to physical confrontation, horns against horns. Their goal is to control as many females as possible with which to reproduce, defending them from any contenders.
The roar of the deer awakens incredible emotions in the listener, a sensation between fear and wonder.
In Val di Pejo, in the Stelvio National Park (Val di Sole-Trentino) you can fully enjoy this real spectacle of Nature . Especially at dusk and dawn, the deer duel in a ritual made up of powerful and continuous calls.
This allows you to easily observe these ungulates, taking care not to disturb them in a fundamental moment of their life.
With the photographic equipment in our possession we will easily be able to see them and photograph them during their fights .
- Meeting at 3pm in Pejo village
- Easy excursion to Zampil and Vallenaia farms. During the walk we will stop to learn to observe the signs of the animals and to look for them with binoculars and telescope.
- At 6pm arrival at the hut. Before dinner, a short photographic projection on the fauna of the park, how to recognize it and how to behave. The ethics of the naturalist and the naturalist photographer.
- Self-organized dinner in a cabin.
- 9:00 pm 1 hour night out to observe and listen to the fauna of the forest. During the exit we will be able to hear the roar of the deer.
- Overnight in a cabin.
- Wake up early (5:30 am) to go out to observe and photograph the deer in love. A simple excursion awaits us, equipped with binoculars and a camera. With a little luck we will be able to observe the deer and hear its loud bellow.
- 8: 30/9: 00 return to the hut and breakfast.
- 11:00 am return to Pejo Paese.